News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Gaming Mouse Question

Started by p0izon, June 10, 2014, 08:09:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

p0izon

While I own quite a few games, I probably only play TFC on a regular. So my question is would upgrading to a gaming mouse make a difference in my aim/accuracy in TFC?

I currently use a cheap ass dynex mouse that I probably got for like $15 several years ago.

Rand

Logitech Trackman ball mouse is the only thing worth using, imo.

:idea:

Saleen219

I use a logitech G500 - couple of them actually. anyway, it feels good in my hand, its a gamers mouse too...older model tho

pig

Imho, an super good gaming mouse is not much more useful than a regular gaming mouse.

Heck I even used the default Dell mice that came with older PCs back during the golden age of TFC. The only reason I switched to a gaming mouse is because they usually have more buttons (5+ instead of default 3).

Skill over equipment any day of the week.

If you havent already, try messing around with mouse acceleration via the steam startup. You'll get better results tweaking settings than spending money on fancy mice.

p0izon

I have no problems with my mouse now. I'm just curious if it makes a difference. If there's a chance I could benefit from an upgrade, it's something I would consider doing.

pig

If you have no problems with your mouse now, I don't see why you would change. My current mouse has been in use since 2004. Old tech, but still great. It's small but fits 5 buttons. The only reason I'd choose another is if this one broke or there were other small, cheap mice with 7+ buttons.

Some people will tell you that they get better results with expensive mice. I have a strong feeling it is placebo effect. I've wasted so much money buying new mice, thinking I'd be a much better player. All it did was thin my wallet.

Master

too many factors to determine, unless you can TELL your mouse isnt as accurate as it could be (see mouse dpi) there really is no need to upgrade.

personally, I cannot live without my gaming mouse, its a logitech mx518 (discontinued, replaced by the g400s) and it has a good amount of buttons, adjustable dpi settings and overall it has a nice feel to it, unless you have extra money to throw at a good mouse that'll last you 5-10 years, chances are there's no need to get a new one.

on a more serious note: I would never go to a discussion forum for advice on pc parts, whether it be internal hardware or input devices, id go to wikipedia, learn the differences and figure out what would work best for my needs (99% of the time the $10 mouse from walmart will get the job done ;))

Bishop

Good question p0izon.  First of all, there are a number of settings that are more important to get right than having a game vs non-gaming mouse.  Most important, make sure you do not run with any mouse acceleration, as this makes it impossible to develop muscle memory (the same amount of movement results in different aiming depending on whether you move the mouse slow or fast).  For windows users make sure you have disabled 'Enhanced Pointer Precision' and select the middle choice (6th tic) on the pointer speed.  Then in game adjust your 'sensitivity' so that it is comfortable. Apparently Windows does some funny things with mouse input and even these settings may not completely remove all acceleration.  There are a number of sites (search, remove mouse acceleration in windows) that will provide registry entries to get exact 1-1 movement.

It is also important that you have you tfc rate settings correct.  While not related to mouse performance, having bad settings here will cause more problems with your aiming than any mouse.  If you want me to go over those, message me sometime or make another post.

Now back to your question on a gaming mouse.  I played for years with, and swore by, regular MS mice (the kind with the ball) and I wore out bunches of them.  Finally I broke down and bought a Logitech G9, but was skeptical that it would make much difference.  Surprisingly I loved it immediately and it made a noticeable difference.  It is hard to describe how much better it feels, but I suspect the people (I was one of them) that say a gaming mouse doesn't matter, are players who have never used one. 

One of the big differences between a gaming mouse and non-gaming is that non-gaming mice report mouse inputs around 100/sec...gaming mice report ~10x as many.  Another important feature is that gaming mice have ~10 higher dpi.  Plus I think the G9 has a super nice feel to it (two different grips to choose from), 5 buttons, and customizable weight. While it is true that most of these differences are small, they apparently add up to a significant difference in your play. 

Furthermore, while I paid ~$100 for the G9, it has lasted many years and surely saved me money.  I have literally a dozen MS carcasses in my garage (~$20 a piece)...before I switched to the G9 I had become quite proficient and combining the good bits of broken mice to make a new workable one.  Now I have a reliable mouse that is 10x better.  I strongly suggest you do a little research and pick a gaming mouse that fits your style (different types are good depending on how you hold your mouse, e.g. do you move just your fingers or your whole hand).  Once you find a good fit, I think you will be very happy with the results.

p0izon

I move my hand with my wrist resting on my desk.

The only time this mouse fails me is when sniping (which is why I never snipe). I can't be precise with my aim. I would assume that is a DPI issue, because I have the same problem in Photoshop when trying to make precise cuts. Feels square-like, rather than smooth circle-like if that makes any sense.

Quote from: Master on June 11, 2014, 12:54:57 AM
on a more serious note: I would never go to a discussion forum for advice on pc parts, whether it be internal hardware or input devices, id go to wikipedia, learn the differences and figure out what would work best for my needs (99% of the time the $10 mouse from walmart will get the job done ;))

True, but I wanted to get a perspective from gamers. This is more research than anything. I get by just fine with the mouse I have now.

Saleen219

3 reasons why i like my mouse - high dpi, feels good in my hand, lots of buttons.

what do you use ps for? you into photography too?

p0izon

Mostly web/graphic design. I can do Photography, but I'm not heavy into it.

I did this event last year in NYC that was pretty fun. It was a new experience for me photography wise. I usually only do portrait work.

Saleen219

nice. ive never done anything like that.

I hate doing portraits, hate dealing with lighting, and well - people.

I shoot mostly scenery and since i work at the local airport i shoot planes and helicopters. Ive also gone back to film shooting b&w. mostly digital but when i want to have some fun I will bring one of my 100 or so film cameras. I also develop my own film.

pig

Poizon, you sound like you have your mind made up on getting a new mouse. If I were you, I'd just get one, try it out and return it if you don't feel it is worth it.

p0izon

Quote from: Saleen219 on June 11, 2014, 01:40:00 PM
nice. ive never done anything like that.

I hate doing portraits, hate dealing with lighting, and well - people.

I shoot mostly scenery and since i work at the local airport i shoot planes and helicopters. Ive also gone back to film shooting b&w. mostly digital but when i want to have some fun I will bring one of my 100 or so film cameras. I also develop my own film.

I hate it too. I don't do it professionally. Mostly only do it for family and friends whenever they need it. You develop your own film? That's neat. I've never messed with film before.

Quote from: pig on June 11, 2014, 05:07:33 PM
Poizon, you sound like you have your mind made up on getting a new mouse. If I were you, I'd just get one, try it out and return it if you don't feel it is worth it.

The only thing that's certain is that I will ultimately need a new mouse for work. Now whether I should shell out extra money for a gaming mouse has not been decided. Judging by the replies, I'll probably be fine with what I have now or any small upgrade I make for work.

Bishop

Quote from: p0izon on June 12, 2014, 08:26:51 AM. Judging by the replies, I'll probably be fine with what I have now or any small upgrade I make for work.

You should do what you think is best, however all replies save one, have suggested that a gaming mouse is worth the investment.