News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Shortcuts for Mods don't work!

Started by Elitesse, July 19, 2014, 07:52:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Elitesse

Okay, since ShouldBeNew posted his problem, I'll post mine. I can't make shortcuts for Half-Life, not even for Team Fortress Classic. I create a shortcut for "hl.exe", right click on it, and type "-game tfc" to have a shortcut for Team Fortress Classic or any other mod. It doesn't work. When I click on it, it opens correctly, but when I press a button (any button, "Options" or "Find Servers" for example) it becomes stuck. I have created batch files for all the official Valve games and they work correctly but I'd like to know if there is anyway to fix this shortcut problem?

ShouldBeNew_

Just writing "-game" is not going to make that work.
Bassiclly it must be something like this if you don't have:

Elitesse

Quote from: Elitesse on July 19, 2014, 07:52:47 AM
I create a shortcut for "hl.exe", right click on it, and type "-game tfc" to have a shortcut for Team Fortress Classic or any other mod. It doesn't work. When I click on it, it opens correctly, but when I press a button (any button, "Options" or "Find Servers" for example) it becomes stuck.
Maybe you should read this part again...?

ShouldBeNew_

Try adding "-steam"
If that doesn't work then keep using .bat
It doesn't really matter if you use .bat or .exe

Elitesse

Ok I will try adding the -steam parameter, never heard of it! I'd continue using batch files, but I don't know how to make them. Those batch files were already included in my download for every GoldSrc game, but I don't know how to make them for mods. Fortunately, there is a button called "Change Game" in Half-Life where I can start a mod, otherwise I couldn't even play some mods!

Elitesse

Nah didn't work. I have a serious problem then! But it's not a really big problem anyway. I still have batch files for every Valve game and I can start up mods by clicking "Change Game" in Half-Life.

p0izon

Would be no problem if you had the game on steam.

Elitesse

Give me the money and I'll gladly buy the game on Steam!

Master

Quote from: Elitesse on July 20, 2014, 03:19:36 PM
Give me the money and I'll gladly buy the game on Steam!
stop begging for handouts, this is an easy way to get a permanent ban that will never be lifted.

Rand

p0izon

Quote from: Rand on July 20, 2014, 05:10:37 PM
Quote from: p0izon on July 20, 2014, 02:04:19 PM
Would be no problem if you had the game on steam.

$5.00?

Some people just can't break the bank apparently =/

Elitesse

First of all, I don't even have 1 $. Second, Master, I'm not asking for an "handout", I'm not interested in having the Steam version of the game. I just replied to Poizon saying that I will buy the game in Steam only if someone gives me the money and that his advice wasn't very helpful!

p0izon

My advice would solve your problem instantly, how is that not helpful?

ShouldBeNew_

OK because everyone is so lazy to make a .bat file i will show you!
As far as i remember it goes like this:

1. Open Notepad
2. Write: hl.exe -game tfc
3. Save as TFC.bat
4. Now move it to C:/Sierra or somewhere. Don't move it into the mod you will use but there where it has folders of mods.
5. Launch it and the Batch file should work!

Elitesse

Poizon, it wasn't helpful because I will NEVER buy the game and because of this the advice wasn't helpful! And thanks for the instructions to make a batch file, it works now, everything was fixed! Thanks! Close this thread if you want.