News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Volume Controls?

Started by Gimpy, November 11, 2020, 04:47:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gimpy

So I'm having a super hard time hearing... It may be the cheap headphones I have, but I'm hoping there's some way to solve / assist with this.

Things like nail guns, footsteps, falling... They're super quiet, while explosions are deafening. Sure, realism... But really?

Is there any way to quiet the explosions sound? I have to play with the volume down as to not destroy my ears, but then I can't hear anything else.

Suggestions?

Master

Quote from: Gimpy on November 11, 2020, 04:47:09 PM
So I'm having a super hard time hearing... It may be the cheap headphones I have, but I'm hoping there's some way to solve / assist with this.

Things like nail guns, footsteps, falling... They're super quiet, while explosions are deafening. Sure, realism... But really?

Is there any way to quiet the explosions sound? I have to play with the volume down as to not destroy my ears, but then I can't hear anything else.

Suggestions?
ethics aside.. I know for a fact some (most?) of the remaining high tier players are straight up removing their sounds or replacing them with much quieter versions.. it is 2020, there is no reason to go deaf just because you want to hear footsteps..

I am unsure if there are any 'soundpacks' that exist, but I will try to ask NeonLight about his 'quiet explosion sounds'

Gimpy

Thanks

I mean, I find it very annoying. Sitting in the 2fort basement, I find I can (very loudly - like a shout) hear every grenade in the entire base, but can barely hear someone drop down the ele.

However, being ethical is everything.

Master

Quote from: Gimpy on November 11, 2020, 07:09:21 PM
Thanks

I mean, I find it very annoying. Sitting in the 2fort basement, I find I can (very loudly - like a shout) hear every grenade in the entire base, but can barely hear someone drop down the ele.

However, being ethical is everything.
unfortunately, as it has no bearing on security whatsoever; don't expect a fix from valve any time soon.

(This is why I tend to stay closer to the basement than the bridge, explosions are still retardedly loud though)

Nuggs

Remove the headphones and using the PC speakers see if the problem is still there.

This def sounds like a case of broken headphones where only a certain channel is coming through.

As far as volume sound packs, they have been around forever and it's been a bit of a gray area. For example nade prime sounds can be turned up to max volume, so you can hear the enemy prime a nade much easier.

The only sounds I messed with is the spanner, since smashing an SG over and over is headache inducing, and I lowered the nade prime sound, since I'm always priming and getting bombarded with that loud ass BEEP BEEP BEEP.

Also it's pretty easy to tell who uses modified sounds for an advantage

pizzahut

Can the headphones adjust bass? I guess that's what's causing grenade explosions to be emphasised.

If you're using Windows 10, there's a setting called "low frequency protection". Maybe this helps. It's a bit of a navigation maze to get there:

Right click on speaker icon, "speaker setup", "advanced setup", choose playback device, properties, tab "enhancements".

As for the sound files, it's probably one of these:

Folder:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\valve\sound\weapons

Files:
explode3.wav
explode4.wav
explode5.wav

You could copy them to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\tfc_addon\sound\weapons

or alternatively to:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Half-Life\tfc_downloads\sound\weapons

And then edit them there. While the original files could be edited, too, they might occasionally be overwritten (e.g. when verifying files).

Windows XP used to have a sound recorder which could change volume (of an existing sound file). The one in Windows 10 doesn't seem to have this option. So as an alternative, maybe Audacity? Might be overkill though.

Gimpy

Quote from: pizzahut on November 12, 2020, 11:58:13 AM
Can the headphones adjust bass? I guess that's what's causing grenade explosions to be emphasised.

Nope. And I doubt the headphones are the issue, as I use them with my phone when I take my kids for walks, and music comes through no problem

Right click on speaker icon, "speaker setup", "advanced setup", choose playback device, properties, tab "enhancements".

I managed to get here (but not the same way as you  ??? ) but that setting wasn't in the list. I did see virtual surround and loudness equalization in there. But those did nothing.

To test: I threw a nail nade from battlements to the far side of the bridge. Then went to my own ELE. I could hear that nail nade explode, and it was as loud as a rocket shot at the wall next to me.

cage

Nuggs

Clearly it's hax then, stop installing .dlls from the evil ftp server

cage

Do you have a laptop or other PC to try and install TFC and test?

Perhaps backup your TFC folder, uninstall, then reinstall a fresh copy. This would identify if it's a PC setting or TFC setting.

Also random thought, but are you sure room_type is set to 0?

Another thought, are you using 3rd party software to handle speakers, such as Creative Labs sound mixer?

Gimpy

Thanks Nuggs, tried it all. No prevail.

I guess I'm just stuck with explosions from the other side of the map being just as loud as an explosion at my feet :(

Guts

pizzahut

Quote from: Gimpy on November 12, 2020, 06:50:30 PM

I managed to get here (but not the same way as you  ??? ) but that setting wasn't in the list. I did see virtual surround and loudness equalization in there. But those did nothing.

Depending on the mainboard (if it has a Realtek chip for Audio), there's also this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=realtek+hd+audio+manager
This was part of my mainboard's drivers / software. It's a 2nd speaker icon in the task bar (system tray), which features a sound manager with equaliser (tab "sound effect"), incl. a high range setting. However this only affects speakers / headphones attached to the mainboard's audio connectors, not built-in monitor speakers (or phones attached to the monitor) which use the audio signal of a display connector.

I suppose using custom sounds (a sound pack) is the better solution though. An equaliser would also affect anything outside of TFC (when using the headphones).

I wonder what the different use for explode3 to explode5 is. Maybe to have some variety, just like there may be several sounds for saying "no" on BZ.

M1LO

Quote from: SomeonPC on November 13, 2020, 06:15:50 PM
Quote from: Gimpy on November 13, 2020, 01:37:52 PM
Thanks Nuggs, tried it all. No prevail.

I guess I'm just stuck with explosions from the other side of the map being just as loud as an explosion at my feet :(

Would you like me to make you a sound pack?

Quote from: Guts on November 13, 2020, 07:04:57 PM
Yes

My apologies someonPC what my good friend Guts meant to say was "Yes.... that would be a wonderful idea, thank you ever so much for the offer" I imagine with G been the shy type that he is, he probably wanted to ask if you would put a pack together for his own use, with that in mind I may be able to offer you some advice with regards to some of the sounds he would wish to be used!   
"It is....what it is"

pizzahut

Quote from: M1LO on November 14, 2020, 03:08:44 AM
I imagine with G[uts] been the shy type that he is, he probably wanted to ask if you would put a pack together for his own use, with that in mind I may be able to offer you some advice with regards to some of the sounds he would wish to be used!   
How about this?

M1LO

Nice pizza very nice.... if G hasn't already implemented this ( id be surprised if not ) then perhaps this would be best suited to the crowbar!
"It is....what it is"

Angi

Rude!  :glarestraight:  :no:  Thats my wav  :)   Common, he deserves better!
"You never know what you are capable of until you try."

Manipulators and other malicious narcissists will no longer have any weight or influence over you.

https://www.thechinesezodiac.org/chinese-horoscope-2022/dog/