News:

Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

why does winter suck?

Started by Gimpy, February 20, 2015, 07:22:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gimpy

So its really fucking cold today. Had the joy of driving to work today in -35C. Fyi - for you Americans that's -32F

SpamDaddy!

That sounds like more of a why does living in Canada in winter suck. The lowest temperature I have experienced this year was +19C and that was only because we had 12mph wind providing wind chill. It was actually only +25C.

However, in the dog days of frickin' summer it has gotten to +105C with a heat index of +120C. The humidity at +90% is so stifling you literally feel as though you have difficulty breathing. The air is so thick with moisture you cant see clearly in the distance it just turns into a haze that appears to be fog. Screw hot weather.

Gimpy

Spam, not to call bs... but i don't think it can physically be that hot!! Water boils at 100C!! That's 212F!

Swede

Huh Gimpy, even here in north of Sweden the temp rarely goes down that low.  :wideeyed:

Saleen219

Was -42C with the wind other morning, -36C without the wind. And i work outside soooo ya.  Ive seen worse tho - like -55C.

Winters here are freakin long and cold.

Just think tho, only 3 more months...just 3 more months...

Kerrybiantulip

It was -40F with wind chill the other day.  My car wouldn't start, I couldn't get to work.  I had to buy a new car battery because two days later it was -37 and it wouldn't start again.

This year's been a rough one.  We have about 4 feet of snow, a foot on top of that which comes and goes, but it's been horribly snowy AND cold.  It's a really depressing year for winter.

Saleen219

Ya rare you dont see a car up here without blockheaters. Also this fall i installed a battery blanket to make it easier to start when frigid cold.

deadly

i'll take some of that snow. the biggest snowfall here, has been 3 inches. i haven't even left the yard with the snowmobiles.

SpamDaddy!

Gimp I meant Fahreneit lol! We have been slammed by snow this year in Alabama! We have had .17 of an inch where I live and up north a bit this pic shows the sheer valume of snow received. They call out salt trucks and deicers for this..no kiddin!

http://media.al.com/news_huntsville_impact/photo/hsv-snow-21815-a0d54ed17f6451cd.jpg

Gimpy

I know hoe more southern Americans deal with snow. I just lived in Colorado for two years, not in the mountains. Snow? SHUT DOWN CITY IMMEDIATELY. And out in Newfoundland where I'm from, they get like teo feet overnight, and nowhere to plow it in the city. So they put it in trucks and dump it in the harbour!

Kerrybiantulip

I know they pile it up and melt it with heat in NYC.

We had 2 feet fall overnight and went to work the next day.  People bitched all day long about how we should've had school cancelled, but they didn't because they'd hired a music group to come on that day and they were willing to risk people's/children's lives to make sure their money wasn't wasted.

SpamDaddy!

Quote from: Juliet on February 21, 2015, 11:50:15 AM
I know they pile it up and melt it with heat in NYC.

We had 2 feet fall overnight and went to work the next day.  People bitched all day long about how we should've had school cancelled, but they didn't because they'd hired a music group to come on that day and they were willing to risk people's/children's lives to make sure their money wasn't wasted.

Over a musical group?!?

Rand

Butterbean

It has been a cold winter. This year where I live it got a insanely cold +35F and just today it hit a mild high of +82F... God bless TEXAS !!!! oh and btw the last snow accumulation we got here was about 1.2 inches in 2004. Happy Winter!!!

Saleen219

we dont even slow down unless its over 10 inches