News:

Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

Cheats

Started by Welshy, February 24, 2021, 02:22:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Welshy

Just a hypothetical question but. How can you tell if someone is cheating?

Is it something that's is glaringly obvious or is it something more subtle that you need to spot?

Do people still cheat? I really don't know.

MrCoala

Yes. People still cheat.

It is hard to tell if someone is cheating, besides obvious things such as speedhacks.
But aimbots CAN be hard to identify but its possible :)

Guts

The admin spent the better part of 2020 trying to identify a cheater. It can be very hard depending on circumstances. As MrCoala said though, sometimes they can be easy. Spin hack was hilariously obvious....yes they spun around in circles the whole time, shooting with an aimbot.

M1LO

Quote from: Welshy on February 24, 2021, 02:22:48 PM
Just a hypothetical question but. How can you tell if someone is cheating?

Is it something that's is glaringly obvious or is it something more subtle that you need to spot?

Do people still cheat? I really don't know.

That's a great question Welshy and I admire your intrigue. One of the replies to your question has been provided by an admin whom has exceptional knowledge and ability in dertermining when individuals are not actually as "skillful" as they would want you to beleive. But above all else this admin themselves is a fantastic player, this im sure you are fully aware of if having ever found yourself on the opposing team. Unfortunalty been this brilliant also brings with it a certain amount of stigma, "no one is that good" and many a time this player has been at the brunt of many accusations of cheating from those who simply lack the understanding and are naive to the amount of effort that has been put in to be up there with the best.
We are fortunate to have a lot of exceptionally good players on the EVIL servers, unfortunatly its to easy to point a finger and say "your cheating" from my own experience and as Guts has stated, it can take a huge amount of effort and time watching and observing trying to find the proof, in 2020 we did indeed identify a long time player on our servers who for a long time had been under suspicion, they were very good at hiding their dishonesty, but to cut a long story short they became far to confident in their impression of been "untouchable" with their increasing dependency in their use of cheats becoming more and more obvious.
I would say it's actually rare that we see the "obvious" use of hacks, now and then yes a new player will pop up giving it big licks and clearly not giving a shit, but 95% of the time it's the "quiet ones" you have to look out for!
"It is....what it is"

Gimpy

We keep a log here in the forums of admin actions and such... we also discuss suspicious players.

I'd be happy to look into anyone you suspect of cheating for you! SteamID, or possibly the name if i can find them

When in doubt, record a demo and upload it

Fyi - you should be able to type amx_who in your console to get the SteamID and IP. If that doesn't work, typing status in your console will give you the SteamID

Welshy

Quote from: Gimpy on February 25, 2021, 05:27:17 AM
We keep a log here in the forums of admin actions and such... we also discuss suspicious players.

I'd be happy to look into anyone you suspect of cheating for you! SteamID, or possibly the name if i can find them

When in doubt, record a demo and upload it

Fyi - you should be able to type amx_who in your console to get the SteamID and IP. If that doesn't work, typing status in your console will give you the SteamID

I don't actually suspect anyone of cheating. I was just curious about cheating these days and was it easy to spot. What I should look out for. Do people still feel the need to do it etc.

Thanks though. If I ever come across someone that's looks like they're cheating. I'll bring it to your attention.

Gimpy

Oh there's cheaters

Trolls gonna troll

Nuggs

If you play the hax.wav sound and someone responds it's irrefutable proof they cheat.

Also there are many borderline things players use to gain an advantage that are not explicitly cheating, such as louder sound files (you can hear players prime nades from further away) clear explosions, clear or no weapon models, brightly colored player models, basic wad packs they make it easier to see players, the list goes on 

froob

I think you could go back to the earliest online games, even ones in the early
90s and still find people who cheat to this day. It's a phenomenon that I think is literally part of the human conscience. unfair advantages over others and all. also cheaters often enjoy ruining the fun for others, and there will always be people with the humor of an infant.

Identifying cheaters is honestly like a game in and of itself. Spinbotters, like guts said are blatantly obvious, as are speed hackers. the last time I remember a speed hacker in TFC was on that one samurai themed map, shooting an insane amount of nail projectiles as scout. maybe 300x faster than normal.

trigger bots I think are the hardest to identify. it's all about patterns which are by default difficult to recognize.

really cool thread welshy.

"The first blessing is peace, as is agreed by all men who have even a small share of reason...."