News:

Please donate to help keep the servers running!

Main Menu

Help with settings for 144hz monitor

Started by Nuggs, August 28, 2020, 10:35:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeLeCat

Also make sure you've upped your motion response setting on the monitor to medium or high.. might be called something different but made a huge difference for me :)

Bishop

Quote from: Spoofer on August 29, 2020, 11:23:13 PM
Per my own testing FPS no longer impacts firing rate in TFC to any significant degree ...

This depends on the server as not all on run the latest patch.  On unpatched servers, the FPS of 144 is about 5% slower than ideal and some fps values can be as much as 30% slower.  Air Acceleration, wall strafing, bhop speed loss, and other movement physics are still affected by FPS regardless of server patch.

EDIT: Tested several servers to verify.

Bishop

Quote from: Nuggs on August 31, 2020, 08:02:06 AM
Quote from: Bishop on August 29, 2020, 02:54:03 PM

V-sync locks your fps to your monitor refresh rate; this will eliminate screen tearing but should not be used due to the negative consequences of having an fps at the monitors refresh rates - which are not good choices for fps in Gold Source.

Bishop can you expand on this, why it's not a good idea to use vsync locked to refresh rate? Because doing exactly that solved most my problems except sticking to ramps and walls more often

The physics of the Goldsource engine are very FPS dependent - this means what ever FPS you choose will affect your game play (not just visual effects).  Monitor refresh rates 60, 120, 144, 240 are not the best FPS for Goldsource games - you will suffer small but noticeable reductions to important game parameters - firerate, air acceleration, and ability to maintain bhop speed on jumps - being most important, but there are other factors as well.

Gimpy

Funny. I noticed a significant difference in gameplay, smoothness, and damage with my shotty, when I changed from an HDMI cable to DP.

Is there a dummies guide to capitalizing FPS? I play at 190.