News:

Please donate to help keep the servers running!

Main Menu

Some weird stuff is happening - TFC Won't start on my PC

Started by Venomous Fangs, June 14, 2019, 02:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pizzahut

DomiAvenger

I was also experiencing this, havent played much in the last few days to notice it again. Friend thats pretty tech savy had me d/l a diff task manager. Could not locate locate any hl.exe anywhere but tfc was still running, closed steam and reopend, still running. Restarting fixed it for me.
When i first looked up the issue it said it may have to do with downloading a game and it installing improperly. Which for me couldve been the case as i was downloading, deleting and cancelling games at the time the issue began.
Windows 7 home premium service pack 1.

schuffler

also if I play for awhile then put the comp. to sleep I have to reboot or it won't work.

Master

Quote from: DomiAvenger on June 16, 2019, 05:10:44 PM
I was also experiencing this, havent played much in the last few days to notice it again. Friend thats pretty tech savy had me d/l a diff task manager. Could not locate locate any hl.exe anywhere but tfc was still running, closed steam and reopend, still running. Restarting fixed it for me.
When i first looked up the issue it said it may have to do with downloading a game and it installing improperly. Which for me couldve been the case as i was downloading, deleting and cancelling games at the time the issue began.
Windows 7 home premium service pack 1.
Unrelated to the primary issue, but whenever I end the hl.exe process (or it crashes) I may sometimes have a 'gameoverlayui.exe' process still running marking the game as still running according to steam.

DomiAvenger

If it happens again ill take a look for that master, thx.

pizzahut

My guess is that a Windows 7 security update caused the issue.

Found a bug report on Github as well.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/2526

Venomous Fangs

Quote from: pizzahut on June 17, 2019, 11:39:36 AM
My guess is that a Windows 7 security update caused the issue.

Found a bug report on Github as well.
https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/2526

Makes sense in my case, I manually update windows on my PC, and did so last Saturday night after which the problem emerged.

schuffler

No need for a screenshot - it looks like an update to Windows 7 is causing this issue. We've reached out to Microsoft and reported it.

So for now, this is a known bug that we are aware of - please note we have no ETA for any potential update on this.

Steam Support
Charles

This is what I got back from Steam Support

DomiAvenger

schuffler

I got another update just now. The problem is due to Windows Game Explorer on Windows 7, so it'll have to be patched by Microsoft.

You have the option of updating to Windows 10 to circumvent the issue, or waiting for Microsoft to update Windows 7 to fix it. Please note that since Microsoft is working on this, we do not have an estimated time for a fix, or any additional information to provide.

schuffler

Master

June 25th (keep dreaming) or July 9th is the next expected windows patch.. however I don't think we can expect a patch to such a low priority issue.. especially if valve/steam is in charge of notifying microsoft about the issue. :^)

Venomous Fangs

No matter in my case, on holidays for the first time in 3 years from next Wed 26 Jun. Will be out of the country 7 weeks so no TFC for me during then....  :'(.

Will put up a separate post in the next week letting the clan know I will be scarce for 2 months.  ;D

Master