News:

Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

Some weird stuff is happening - TFC Won't start on my PC

Started by Venomous Fangs, June 14, 2019, 02:03:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venomous Fangs

Hey Guys wondering if I can get some advice here, as TFC will not start on my PC for reasons unknown.  >:(

What happens is I run TFC, then nothing. Try running it again and a Steam message pops up "An error occurred while updating Team Fortress Classic (app running)."

Ctr+Alt+Del Task Manager doesn't see TFC running, yet Steam thinks it is running. No other Steam games I have seem affected.

Tried the following remediation, to no avail:

Ensured TFC is allowable to communicate through Windows firewall, both private and public check boxes crossed.
Turned Windows Firewall OFF.
Did a virus scan with malwarebytes, detected nothing and;
Deleted TFC and reloaded on to PC.

Same thing was happened to Google and GOG Galaxy, but reloading those programs fixed the issue. The only commonality with TFC those have I can see is they all interact directly with the internet on startup.

Smacks of a firewall issue, yet even when the firewall is turned off the problem still exists, also the other two affected programs worked on deletion and reload.

At a loss here, anyone got any ideas to fixing this? (Dxdiag of my PC attached)

schuffler

Mines been doing the same thing . I have to go in to task mgr. find HL.exe *32 and shut it down then it loads with no problem. Still have not found anyway to correct this.

Venomous Fangs

Thanks for the tip Schuffler, didn't see any HL.exe in Task Manager when I tried. One thing I did do before the troubles arose was downloaded latest windows patch, thinking maybe this could be it, but did system restore back a week and no luck. Virus perhaps?????

schuffler

This started last weekend for me. I did a restore also from a month ago when everything was working fine and that didn't help. I'll keep working on it something has to fix it.

Master

This problem is being reported across multiple 'HL Games' with very limited information, nobody really knows the root cause.. I believe there is an issue with the VAC module not loading properly on startup.

Here are some options to try, please try them in the order I listed and PLEASE REPORT BACK WHICH OPTION WORKS FOR YOU!!!
This problem is affecting many people across many games, I would like to know which method is fixing it to better track down the problem.

Troubleshooting Steps:

Before attempting any of the following, please ensure that you have your custom files (configs, sprites, models, etc) backed up in a safe location. you may attempt to launch TFC after each step, however look in taskmanager for the process (hl.exe) and also check for crashdumps in the game folder (Steam\steamapps\common\Half-Life)

• Verify game cache (TFC)
  • Verify base game (HL)
  • Launch base game before desired game (HL, and TFC)
  • add command line parameter '-nofbo' (TFC)
Please try running the game after each step listed above, and report back on which options allows the game to start for you (if any).

schuffler

Checked 1 and 2  all good but only way to start game is to go to task mgr.   I do have crash dumps in the game folder.
Will check more after work.

Venomous Fangs

Tried 1,to 3, no avail, then did -nofbo IT WORKED!  :yay!: :D

Master your name says it all, absolute genius!  8)

Bishop

Doesn't -nofbo send all your banking and credit card information to Master?

schuffler

cloroxwipes

None of the fixes work for me.  It'll load fine once, five times or 20 times then stop loading.  I have to log off windows, log back in and it'll work once i close hl.exe in task manager the first time. 

Venomous Fangs

Venomous Fangs

OK, the problem has reemerged >:(.

Restarting the PC doesn't work, and the -nofbo command is still in the icon URL.....

Any other ideas????  :rolleyes2:  :'(

Master now has to give me back my bank accounts, feel free to keep the house mortgage!  :D

pizzahut

schuffler, cloroxwipes - may I ask which OS you're using?

Master

Quote from: pizzahut on June 16, 2019, 07:40:09 AM
schuffler, cloroxwipes - may I ask which OS you're using?

If it's windows, can you provide the version string from the first line of 'command prompt' (search for cmd, only result)