News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Duck jump trimp tips

Started by Nuggs, January 26, 2018, 10:09:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuggs

So as we all know one of the coolest features of Battlezone is the fact it's running a custom one-of-a-kind TFC trimp plugin.

For those who are unaware, trimping is a form of double jump introduced in the Quake series. This allows players to perform a jump when entering into ramps at speed. The technical definition:

QuoteTrimping is a movement skill that causes a player in possession of horizontal velocity on an incline to 'pop' upwards. The distance of the additional vertical movement (hereby known as a trimp) is dependent on two things when the trimp is initiated:

The player's horizontal velocity
The gradient of the slope with respect to the player's direction of travel
If the slope is facing away from the player (i.e. the player is travelling downhill) then the trimp code works in reverse -- the player loses height and increases in horizontal speed.

If in the middle of a Rampslide, a player should not be able to trimp, as the combination is too powerful for offence. The player should make a choice when hitting the ramp, then must stick with that choice.

The addition of trimp to TFC adds another skill layer to an already complex movement system of the gold source engine and even after many hours I'm still finding new ways to utilize it.

One of the moves I've seen with trimp is something I'm calling the duck jump trimp, which is a terrible name but I don't know what else to call it. Basically it allows you to perform a trimp on flat ground without the need for a incline. Some players on the server can hit this with 100% success rate (Cookie) others about 50/50 and myself about one in fifteen attempts. Reesor was kind enough to talk me through it so I'm going to attempt to explain it here.

Basically you need to duck and release the duck key and hold jump before your feet touch the ground. Essentially you are ducking into the ground and using your downward momentum to induce a trimp jump.

Timing is key to executing the jump. I've been messing around with different FPS settings to try and make it easier but so far I have not make any headway. I tried from 60 to 220 fps, expecting the high frames to make it easier but this was not the case. I'm gonna to attempt to create a script for it but without the use of _special I don't think it will work. If anyone has suggestions on how to make this maneuver easier to hit please let me know.

If you have any questions about trimp hit me up on steam or the server and I'm happy to walk you through it, it's much easier to explain in game as opposed to the forums.

pizzahut

Nuggs

Thanks for posting those clips pizzahut, that's exactly what I was trying to describe. We need to get cookie in here to spill the beans on the secrets to the duck jump trimp  :yawn:

Bishop

The jump you described is an unintended mode of trimping yet with practice you can get pretty good at it.  Your fps settings also effect the difficulty.

pizzahut

Script to perform this jump:

bind alt +trimp
alias +trimp "+duck;wait;-duck;+jump"
alias -trimp -jump

Hold down "Alt" for a second or two, then release it.

This is with cl_autobhop enabled. If you disabled it, you need to spam jump with a delay after pressing the trimp key.

SpamDaddy!

Quote from: Nuggs on January 26, 2018, 10:09:41 AM
So as we all know one of the coolest features of Battlezone is the fact it's running a custom one-of-a-kind TFC trimp plugin.

For those who are unaware, trimping is a form of double jump introduced in the Quake series. This allows players to perform a jump when entering into ramps at speed.

This jump, being able to be done in mid air apparently negates the need for an elevated surface. It has gotten so out of hand I am for getting rid of trimp altogether. We should just turn on noclip and speed race to caps. We could even just get rid of guns so as to maximize speed. At least with concing you have to learn to conc but now we have a customized script to allow you to ignore what is designed to be an obstacle.

Nuggs

Pizza Hut thanks for posting, I had tried and failed to create a script but the one you made works great.

Spammy, in case you are unaware, there are scripts for rjump and concing as well, which negates the point I think you were trying to make.

Similar to this script, they are only somewhat useful and no match for actually learning the skill and preforming the maneuver manually.

The trimp just cannot be preformed mid air as you suggest, it still needs a solid surface to execute.

As for the noclip rant about players moving too quickly, don't forget there is always Drippys 🤢

Master

I've been having difficulty patching this without 'breaking' the trimp from outside base to battlements, it is being worked on, same as the time out issue

SpamDaddy!

Quote from: Master on February 08, 2018, 11:48:24 PM
I've been having difficulty patching this without 'breaking' the trimp from outside base to battlements, it is being worked on, same as the time out issue

Bless your heart, thsi server is giving you pure t hell lately isn't it?
???

SpamDaddy!

Quote from: Nuggs on February 08, 2018, 01:18:09 PM
Pizza Hut thanks for posting, I had tried and failed to create a script but the one you made works great.

Spammy, in case you are unaware, there are scripts for rjump and concing as well, which negates the point I think you were trying to make.

Similar to this script, they are only somewhat useful and no match for actually learning the skill and preforming the maneuver manually.

The trimp just cannot be preformed mid air as you suggest, it still needs a solid surface to execute.

As for the noclip rant about players moving too quickly, don't forget there is always Drippys 🤢

The rant was about lack of obstacles not speed 8) And yeah I know nothing about scripts cuz I dont use them or intend to. The problem is just like Spinach said on another thread not how they should be used but hey the will get abused.yesterday hans was aon a map using this script to jump to spawn, stab people leaving, go grab flag just down hall and cap...camp stab cap...

Without that easy button it wouldnt have been possible at least not so quickly smoothly and easily..Im sure you know all this tho. I see your pints to bro !

pizzahut

Btw I think Master managed to patch it today. The 2fort front door to balc trimp (which is using a ramp) should still be working.

SpamDaddy!

Quote from: pizzahut on February 09, 2018, 11:29:59 AM
Btw I think Master managed to patch it today. The 2fort front door to balc trimp (which is using a ramp) should still be working.

He did, it's been fixed for most of the day! Well done, Master and thank you! : )