News:

Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

Dproto and its problems

Started by Master, January 30, 2017, 01:58:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master

** Dproto will be disabled no later than February 5th **

Hello everyone, I come to you today to tell you a story about a server-side plugin known as 'dproto'

This is a plugin we have been using here at EVIL as far back as 2010/2011 the exact date has long been forgotten, but I do know for a fact it is one of the reasons we made the move to our own hosted hardware instead of renting servers.

It has (greatly) increased traffic over the years, but with it we have seen many problems spawn from it, and now it appears that the problems outweigh the benefits and it has come time to bring this to an end.

We have slowly begun to disable this on some of our servers and expect all servers to have it disabled by February 5th at the latest, the number of users who depend on this to connect/play on our servers has slowly dwindled over the years. If you are one of the users who depends on dproto to connect to the servers, I urge you to register on Steampowered and purchase TFC as soon as possible.

I hope that this is seen as good news by everyone and that everyone can understand why we are making this change.

TL;DR

No more nonsteam support.
Buy TFC: http://store.steampowered.com/app/20/

** Dproto will be disabled no later than February 5th **

SyKosis

New years with new problems , thank you for your patience.

froob

:cry2: ive been hoping this would happen sooner or later, now people that play on our servers will have to benefit the people who created this magnificent game, instead of downloading or purchasing it from a source that does the contrary.

Long live TFC!

"The first blessing is peace, as is agreed by all men who have even a small share of reason...."

Chapu™

That's a great notice.. Finally the haxers will go to the hell from the servers

Nuggs

Trump issues executive order against immigrants and foreigners.

Two days later Master issues executive order against immigrants and foreigners.

Master = Trump confirmed.

lol_face

xheon

Quote from: Nuggs on January 31, 2017, 10:04:21 AM

lol_face

You make it sound like non Americans can't afford TFC.   ???

p0izon

Quote from: xheon on January 31, 2017, 09:17:35 PM
Quote from: Nuggs on January 31, 2017, 10:04:21 AM

lol_face

You make it sound like non Americans can't afford TFC.   ???

ShouldBeNew_

I usually don't comment on EVIL forums anymore but i'll say this

if I'd still be a non-steam user, I would probably be strongly against this decision but i'm not a non-steam user anymore. While this decision is good in many ways for the server (Steam ID bans, Steam players only, etc.) it will kill the Latino community which consists mostly of non-steam users and if i'm not mistaken, about 1/3 of EVIL players are non-steam clients.

The exact problem about Latinos is that South America can be a very poor place so that the players there can't afford anything on Steam. After EVIL removes dproto, they will have no major server left to play on.

And I am not saying this is a bad idea, it's good for the server and it will make the banned players unable to join the server ever again (even though using non-steam) but i'm just saying that this could leave some consequences considering the non-steam community. I'm not sure how many non-steam players are still left on the server since I barely even play but there might be less active players (if 1/3 of players are non-steam of course).
But to give an example, Peru the 4th most-members country in the community has majority of it's players using non-steam (if that's not using duplicate accounts).

In the end, this is good news for Steam users and majority of the community, bad news for non-steamers and most of the Latino community that use non-steam.

Master

Dproto has now been disabled on ALL* servers (may have missed one, let me know)

This is the time where problems may arise, I do not expect anything to go wrong, but please keep your eyes peeled for any problems on the servers.

Thank you everyone for your patience and understanding with this, YOU players are the reason this game is still alive over a decade later. :)

Gimpy

SyKosis

TFC is love. TFC is the respectful.

Gimpy

ValveID's still in F&A server.

schuffler

seems to be working other than it did get rid of most of the players.

schuffler

not sure if this was supposed to help this, but was timed out on LG in less than a minute today