News:

Please donate to help keep the servers running!

Main Menu

Monthly cost for a server?

Started by froob, July 12, 2016, 07:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

froob

After being here for a while I have known that the servers aren't free, (which they should be) and I was wondering Master, how much does it cost monthly to keep a server running?  ;)

"The first blessing is peace, as is agreed by all men who have even a small share of reason...."

ShouldBeNew_

Quote from: SourceFroob on July 12, 2016, 07:39:12 AM
I have known that the servers aren't free, (which they should be)
They're not supposed to be free and shouldn't be free either, if it would be free then you would need your PC to be 24/7 turned on hosting TFC dedicated server but no one is going to do that.

Now for the second question which i'm not pretty sure, Master sends like 1/3 or half of the donations to pay to the server host.

Master

I don't know exactly how to answer this..

There are two different ways I can understand your question.. the first is.. what is the cheapest YOU a regular user can 'pay' to run a server, and for that.. the answer is roughly one dollar per player slot of a 'superb' server with anti-ddos, crash protection, auto restart etc.

I can also see this being asked as how much does it cost US.. evil soldiers clan.. to keep a (THE) server(s) running.. and to that.. there are far too many things to contribute to the cost to put an accurate figure down, so let me try to put it this way.. we run about 80% of our services on one dedicated server, this costs us about 50 dollars a month (paid quarterly) this server hosts the gameservers, our internal MySQL, used primarily for server admin stuff.. admin database.. bans.. speedruns (on a server thats broken :().. reports.. clan roster.. some other behind the scenes stuff too. we also run our own stats daemons and MySQL database for this as well.. we also run our chatbot and master server for global chat on our server.. things like that you can't really put a price on. <3

We also have seperate hosting for our websites which costs about 60 dollars per year.. and while on webstuff.. we have a licensed control panel to manage all of our servers to make sure they are up when they are supposed to and to alert me when they stop and sends me a copy of the log so I can try to figure out why this is happening.. this license costs 25 dollars per year I think.. overall its worth it for the complete server management that not even some of the big name providers can offer.. im still blown away by the amazing work in that control panel.

Moving down the list.. theres the time and effort that all the members of the community put into this game day after day.. id say thats worth infinity million dollars.. seriously, don't worry about the money, I always say it costs about 50 bucks a month, but its not about getting the bills paid, its about making sure that there will always be a home for everyone here in TFC, no matter the game mode.. conc maps.. escape maps.. ctf.. adl... every game mode needs love and support and that is what evil is here for. <3

froob

You truly are a hero, I thank you.

"The first blessing is peace, as is agreed by all men who have even a small share of reason...."