News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Cannot connect to EVIL servers

Started by Pentium, July 10, 2020, 02:56:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pentium

Hi,

since like 2-3 days ago I haven't been able to connect to BZ or other EVIL servers. My Steam browser can sometimes see them, sometimes not, but when I try to connect, either the server doesn't respond at all, or it retries to establish connection until the "failed to contact to game server" message. Sniperzone is like 50/50 success but the other servers wont usually let me in, BZ never. Using server browser or command line by typing the IP number makes no difference.

My connection is ok, no issue regarding the other TFC servers whatsoever no matter the region or anything. Until like 2 days ago, I had no trouble with BZ at all. Any updates in EVIL or anything? No one else having issues?
Do you ever bang your mature teacher at the desk during math test?

Master

Interesting that it started occuring 2 days ago, I haven't edited any IP filters in several months now, I would start by HARD cycling your modem and router (remove power COMPLETELY for 30+ seconds) and see if the issue persists.

This very much sounds like a routing issue, if the power cycle fails to resolve this, I would perform a traceroute and see if you have any bad hops, the address you would want to trace to is dedicated.esclan.net

Here is a good video explaining how to perform and understand a trace route on windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzyHXHJl_mU

ps: I have personally never been assisted by an ISP when providing bad hop info, usually they don't even understand what im talking about, hopefully you will have better luck than I ever did.

Pentium

Alright, I tried to hard cycle my router to no avail. So I checked the network routes thoroughly using the tracert command with various parameter values and there does seem to be a routing problem indeed. In the case of all EVIL servers the tracking program can never reach the final server, always returning the "request timed out" message beyond a certain point. I'm not sure of the relevance of that, however, because I can still connect to some EVIL servers (Sniperzone, Fun) and play normally without any apparent problems. Same goes for some other non-EVIL servers. What's particulary funny is that while I can join Fun, Skillz always rejects me even though they've got the same IP adress, the only difference being the port. If there's nothing you can do, I'll try to consult some people, contact my ISP and see what can be done.
Do you ever bang your mature teacher at the desk during math test?

Master

I will discuss this with our ISP as well, as they are an 'internet business' they know how the internet works and may be able to help remedy the situation.

Bond

Hey all
So something similar has happened to myself where my ping went from 190 to 280 ms and the fps is very choppy, it's not really playable on the evil servers anymore as is <insert frowny face here>.

Anyone else in Australia on TPG experience this?

Trying this tracert wizardry but I'm not very good with IT

If anyone has any thoughts on why my ping has gained 100ms overnight, or ideas on how to fix it please do let me know.

TIA

Bond

Quick update - tracert shows my ping is taking 100ms to reach tpg in Sydney.. so that's where the additional 100ms is coming from I dare say, and my default fps_max is 200 but after dipping that down my gameplay is smooth again  :)