News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Lone Pyro

Started by Wraith777, January 27, 2015, 06:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wraith777

Hello

Often you see a Pyro running around and trying to do something..
I don't know why Pyro is my fav class.. but I know why I HATE IT!!!

So, the Pyro. Many say it's cool, because it's a Pyro.. and almost never pick it. Why? Every class is good for something:
Scout is for flag running
Sniper is for.. sniping)
Soldier - good, ehm, soldier and flag guard
Spy - diversions
Demoman - assault and defense
HWG - a bipedal tank
Engeneer - defence and assault
Medic - attack, infect, runaway, grab flag, bring it back

And what about Pyro?
Can Pyro attack? Maybe, but he can't kill. Yeah, "Pyros aren't not for killing", but still...
Can Pyro defend or guard flag? Maybe, but he just can't chase down scouts or medics and just does not have time to deal deadly damage.
Maybe he's purpose is to "spread frustration and confusion amongst enemies"? Maybe, but often this ends bad for him with a rocket in face, a headshot or a deadly infection.

I can't go on a walk outside, because I'm being outnumbered by Snipers, Heavies, Soldiers, Medics, Engeniers, Spies..
I can't dive, because my flamethrower is (obviously), useless underwater, and Incendiary Cannon doesn't set on fire. And so, I'm being outnumbered by Snipers, Heavies, Soldiers, Medics, Engeniers, Spies..
In close combat I must always runaway from enemy, because I can't fight back rockets, grenades, minigun, sentry gun. Just don't have fire power.

Let's make a detailed analysis

-------------------------------

Pyro is fattest class right next to Heavy and Soldier. Just look, 100hp + 150armor! And he runs relatively fast. But, that it, no more pros about him >:((!!

"Oh, but he's flame resistant too". WOW, now that's a Super Special Ability here, oh yeah! Especially underwater.. Then what the /PEEP/, why our super flame resistant Pyro gets damaged by he's own flame grenades??? Oh, so it only guards from other Pyro's flames, how handy...

"But he can set enemies on fire and so, "spread frustration and confusion amongst them"! "... Yes, it's nice to have an enemy set on fire, but not so when it deals near ZERO damage spread thru time limit until it depletes. Just think, one flame deals total damage of 8 points, 2 per 4 ticks (takes an eternity to deal a GREAT 8p damage, isn't it?). Flames can stack, but to accumulate a significant stack of flames I need an eternity (number of rocket hits of flamethrower hits + older flames may deplete before I hit next time), so it's worthless, another ability is almost totally wasted. And don't forget about water...

"But Pyro is best Spy detector!". Ow yeah? Then why an spy attacked by Pyro doesn't loose his disguise and still can walk at the nose of sentry gun?? I know, it's up to living people to determine whenever it's a spy, but still, it's logic for enemy disguise to "burn out", isn't it?

-------------------------------

And what about weapons? Holy /PEEP/, how BAD things are here..

Crowbar - you can kill anyone weaker than you with it (if enemy was no ammo, ofcource)

Flamethrower - the MOST MISSERABLE, WORTHLESS AND UNUSEFULL weapon in the whole TFC!!! (even railgun is better). I hate this gluon mutant!! It has slow firing rate, deals almost no damage, has low attack range. But it's biggest problem is APPALLING HIT DETECTION!!!
No matter what and how I do it, I just can't hit anybody with it(((((!!! Why???!!! I shoot at this /PEEP/n Medic/Soldier/Demo/Heavy, but the flame just travels thru them and they aren't set on fire or damaged!! Even when I fire at someone standing still it manages to miss the target, BIG WTF??? ARGH!!!!!

Incendiary Cannon - Look, a rocket launcher! And it doesn't need to reload! And it's rockets can set enemies on fire! Nice, eh? NO!!! Because it fires too slow, rockets travel much slower than usual rockets (see for yourself), direct damage is miserable.. How many rockets do I need to kill a scout (not even talking about soldier or, at least, medic). And one more thing: why ammo is so LOW, only 20 rockets??? (for instance, soldier can carry 54 rockets!!!)

Single-barrel Shotgun - you're just kidding, right?? ENGENEER has a Super Shotgun, MEDIC has a Super Shotgun, SPY has a Super Shotgun. And armless PYRO has a SINGLE, one /PEEP/n SINGLE-barrel shotgun??? WHY??? it's a really BAD joke to finish things off. And, of course, ammo is lowest, only 40 spare bullets..

Thank god, PYRO has normal grenades. They are his only argument. But then again, why do you pick Pyro, only to throw a grenade?

Napalm grenade - explodes with LESS damage then usual granade and can kill someone standing still on flames for 1/2 and hour or so..

In summary, Pyros are good for... nothing(((.
They attack, but they are killed more times than they kill.
They defend, but they just ignit an outrunning scout/medic with flag and can't chase him.
They insanely run around, shoot at everything that moves, and "spread frustration and confusion amongst enemies", although most often they don't kill them, but only annoy.. And even in this role they can't perform perfect, because they don't have enough spare ammo (20 rockets), 4 weak flame grenades, so they wear off quickly and have to run back to the base, being killed on the run.

------------------------------

And here comes the NeoTF!!! This must be the cure for the Pyro plague!!!

But, it isn't(((. Why? Because:
1) one special ability is wasted. Hot to /PEEP/ I supposed to freeze an enemy if he needs to stand on ground with both of his feet? And I need to go and touch him in the nose.. And he still can turn and shoot at me.. and freezing wears off in seconds..
2) now I don't need to learn how to bhop, since I have a jetpack! How nice, but... WHY DOES IT NEED TO TAKE MY ARMOR??? Why not wasting my flame fuel, so much more logic here...

------------------------------

I'm telling this only about myself playing against other players like me. I.e. I'm not a noob, as well as not a some "evil solder" to compete with those, but any good player deals with Pyro so easy..

Why do I play as Pyro all the time then? Don't know, maybe I'm just trying to prove myself that Pyro isn't that bad. But, he IS UNDERPOWERED, that's for sure! And I'm not the only one thinking like that:
http://blog.spuf.info/2014/05/10/poor-unloved-tfc-pyro/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/Wircea/recommended/20/
http://www.giantbomb.com/team-fortress-classic/3030-4561/
They tell the same things..

What bothers me most of all: why anyone ever had an idea to fix it?? What's the problem making a Pyro a competitive class?
Even small change can give him a chance, JUST ONE of undermentioned:
- give him a SUPER SHOTGUN
- give him at least 30 rockets
- make that his flames burn out enemy disguise
- make him fully resistant to his own flames from a grenade
- fix Incendiary Cannon (fire rate, rocket travel speed, damage)
- fix a flamethrower, so that it finally can /PEEP/n HIT enemies, PLEASE! Leave damage/fire rate/range as it is, just fix that awful hit detection!!!

Regarding NeoTFC
- do something with freezer, so that it may be of some use (range, freeze time, freeze non standing still enemy)
- change jetpack to fuel consumption instead of armor

Maybe he's here just to test new players, that most often pick a medium class (Pyro), get in, get killed over9000 times, get out, throw TFC away and go mincrafting/or/play-play-play, achieve madskills, become a TFC GOD,then pick a Pyro and go avenging :evillaugh:! !!

Or it's just a developers joke...

Phew, finally thrown that $ and 2 cents of mine...

p0izon

All I know is... Once I'm done with Skyrim, I'm coming back for my global award. I am the Pyro master round these parts buddeh.

Rand

Gimpy

Pro is actually the second best (behind spy) for mulling enemy snipers. You get  two or three amazing snipers on a team, and a pyro ruins it.
Whether it be napalm on deck, or endless rockets at the agreements, pyros are whoreson snipers. Big, ditty, nasty whores.

-[EVIL]- Bonesaw

I also can't stand playing as a Pyro (if my intent is to rack up kills or defend) BUT in the same breath, I can't stand playing AGAINST them either. As a sniper, I find it to be incredibly annoying. It's just as irritating as medics or spies. So even if they aren't directly killing me, having fire everywhere slows me down or keeps me in a corner. So even though I don't get killed by them, it's preventing me from doing my job, giving the opposing team an advantage. Plus the blast radius on their cannon drives me fucking insane... you think you're avoiding it (like a solly's rocket) but if it hits anything within 50 miles of you, you end up char-broiled and throwing your keyboard out the window.

In closing, they're relatively horrible but a good pyro will annoy the ever living shit out of you and make it impossible to get anything done!

ShinUC

Wraith777

Quote from: p0izon on January 27, 2015, 06:26:01 PM
All I know is... Once I'm done with Skyrim, I'm coming back for my global award. I am the Pyro master round these parts buddeh.

Oh, look, it fell from your chest.. let me hold it for you :D..

Quote from: Gimpy on January 27, 2015, 08:39:16 PM
Pro is actually the second best (behind spy) for mulling enemy snipers. You get  two or three amazing snipers on a team, and a pyro ruins it.
Whether it be napalm on deck, or endless rockets at the agreements, pyros are whoreson snipers. Big, ditty, nasty whores.

Well, that's what I'm constantly trying to do: shoot at snipers (as well as anything else that moves).. And often I hear bad things about me for just doing my job..

SpamDaddy!

Wraith, no one has a problem with you playing pyro. The issue today was you spamming the bridge with flame nades repeatedly. Nades are there so everyone can gear up and join the action not spam nonstop. Otherwise we love you!

p0izon

Quote from: Wraith777 on February 16, 2015, 10:31:14 AMOh, look, it fell from your chest.. let me hold it for you :D..

Let's be real, most of your flame kills are a byproduct of your napalm spam.

Wraith777

Quote from: SpamDaddy! on February 16, 2015, 12:29:58 PM
The issue today was you spamming the bridge with flame nades repeatedly. Nades are there so everyone can gear up and join the action not spam nonstop. Otherwise we love you!

Well, thanks, but... now I'm not allowed to use my grenades how and where I want!? Why when anyone else stands there and constantly throws EMPs/Mirvs right in front of my exit, it's ok.. And I'm not allowed to get out and throw grenades on bridge. Maybe I just die so often it looks like if I'd been doing it constantly :rolleyes2:.
Or maybe I should just stand there doing nothing and wait for a headshot/rocket/backstab/emp/grenade in my face/head/back???

Quote from: p0izon on February 16, 2015, 01:50:27 PM
Let's be real, most of your flame kills are a byproduct of your napalm spam.

Same can be said about any pyro. And no, most of them are not (aren't there a separate counter for flame grenades?), and even if yes, it doesn't change anything - they are killed by FLAMES. Still, I don't care that much about all those statistics..

Saleen219

ya no - we do NOT prefer someone to stand on battlements and tossing nades/pipes/emps/flame nades/etc constantly onto the bridge.

For one, its freakin annoying to your own troops, but makes it quite difficult for the other team to play. Same idea as standing outside enemy respawn and constantly bombard it with nades.

This sort of activity can get you slayed/kicked/banned/spanked/indian burned/etc

Wraith777

Quote from: Saleen219 on February 16, 2015, 04:44:53 PM
ya no - we do NOT prefer someone to stand on battlements and tossing nades/pipes/emps/flame nades/etc constantly onto the bridge.

Emm, sorry, but I didn't stayed on battlements while throwing grenades - I get out, throw grenades on it, stay there and wait for some bhopers/grenade jumpers, trying to stop them. No constant tossing here, just being killed already and have to start all over again (bhopers/grenade jumpers are on their way to, since they move much faster than I)...

Anyway, aren't flame grenades designed to be annoying?? you can easily avoid them, they do less damage than usual nades, so what's the point including them in the game if I can't use them this way??

Oh, and please, don't tell me that I'm not allowed to shoot at snipers standing at their battlements, because "they are standing too close to exits, and your rockets have wide flame setting range, so it hits exit zone".. Constantly - no, but often - YES...

p0izon

Quote from: Wraith777 on February 16, 2015, 05:53:03 PM
Quote from: Saleen219 on February 16, 2015, 04:44:53 PM

Emm, sorry, but I didn't stayed on battlements while throwing grenades - I get out, throw grenades on it, stay there and wait for some bhopers/grenade jumpers, trying to stop them. No constant tossing here, just being killed already and have to start all over again (bhopers/grenade jumpers are on their way to, since they move much faster than I)...

Anyway, aren't flame grenades designed to be annoying?? you can easily avoid them, they do less damage than usual nades, so what's the point including them in the game if I can't use them this way??

Oh, and please, don't tell me that I'm not allowed to shoot at snipers standing at their battlements, because "they are standing too close to exits, and your rockets have wide flame setting range, so it hits exit zone".. Constantly - no, but often - YES...

It doesn't matter what the game intended. We have rules on our servers & grenade spam is high amongst those that will get you disciplined.

Also nothing wrong with shooting at snipers near an exit.

SpamDaddy!

I don't think people understand what spamming spawn actually is. Let's go through this. If an opposing team is hanging out near their exit so they can safely run in when attacked they are fair game by any and all non exploitive means. Mirvs, Flames, Bricks, or Wild Attack Chickens..whatever you can find to kill them is ok. If they are playing "from spawn" first you notify and admin if admin not present bomb the piss out of them. If they have the flag inside that spawn or near it. None of that is spamming spawn. That is called killing turtles!

Spamming Spawns is - when you repeatedly throw nades into an area you know players exit in hopes of getting cheap kills or to prevent them from exiting to join the fray.