News:

Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

Improving Server ping

Started by Venomous Fangs, November 24, 2020, 05:54:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venomous Fangs

For years immemorial I have suffered a ping of about 250 on BZ server having to use copper line ADSL, thus having the ignominy of coming off second best when dueling shots simultaneously with other players who had a better ping, which was about 95% of them.  :grumpy:

Last week I reworked my Internet network to fix the ping problem, and are now totally on 5G wireless, with the PC Wi-Fi through a 5G dongle. Speed test today against a local Ookla server shows as follows:

PING ms 14 DOWNLOAD Mbps 134.29 UPLOAD Mbps 4.50

Armed with my flash new 5G network, tried playing sniper last night, with mixed results. Even allowing that most of my opponents were elite skillz, was still getting the "my hand is off the fire switch, but I an dead" in the sniper duels.

Checking the ping on the menu, ping was still about 220, which is not a great improvement on the ADSL copper line 250 ping I have had over the years. The Phone Company representative I spoke to said it likely won't get any better then that due to the fact the server in in Texas USA. Hell of a difference to 14 ms ping I get locally?

Question I have is is the Phone Company Rep right about a capped ping due to distance? Or is there something missing which can be addressed to improve the ping?

Welcome any thoughts or opinions, and yes I know, get better at sniping is a no brain option...  ::)

Master

Unfortunately yes.. AUS players especially have this issue with online games as there are rarely 'local' servers, which is exactly what you are facing right now. If you want a better representation of the ping you should see, you can change the server on your speedtest to one located in Dallas, TX which will also have the real world latency issues.

I would imagine that 5G is faster locally though, definitely a better choice than ADSL.. I don't know what the internet/telecoms industry is like over there, but there might be something cheaper for 'good internet' however you will always have a high ping to EVIL servers, and other USA based servers.

Venomous Fangs

Drats... so much for fixing the crimp rate...  :blink:

No matter, still 30 ping improvement, and yes will be sticking to 5G.

Downloaded 70GB Balders Gate 3 the other week on the ADSL, took 30 hours... :woow: Couldn't do anything else as it crimped the line whilst downloading, . Download speeds of about 130 Mbps should be able to download 70 GB just over an hour instead.  8)

Thanks for the advice Master.   :)