News:

Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

Computers can be a pita

Started by Saleen219, July 27, 2014, 02:46:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saleen219

Oh.my.GAWD!

computers can be a real pain in the freakin ass sometimes. Took a 3 year old rig to work to replace my 6 year rig (because I built a new rig few months ago). Turns out I needed to replace the heatsink fan on the 3 y/o rig cus it was just WAY too loud. Small fans need to turn real fast to move the air needed to cool.

So i went to install a water cooling unit that I happened to have on hand - was for the new rig but as it turned out it would cook my new CPU properly so I didint install the water cooler. I had nothing but issues. had to make my own mount on the side of the computer, drilling a trillion holes to allow air to pass through cus i couldnt find a 5 inch drill bit lol.

When I removed the old heatsink, it pulled the cpu out of the socket. oops.

then because i apparently didnt seat the cpu correctly, i ended up bending about 15 pins. straightened them out - 3 times using a steel ruler, a push pin, paperclip and a jack knife - cus i didnt seat the cpu correctly 3 times....what a pain in the ass.

finally got it up and running after I noticed I wasnt seating the cpu right. the cpu with the water cooler running 20-23 degrees cooler though. but she is running. no smoke. no fires. no sparks but i had some bleeding and a lot of swearing.

Tools used:

drill
    two different sized bits
    a hammer -yes a hammer
    screwdriver (always needed when working computers)
    jacknife
    steel ruler (awesome at straightening cpu pins btw)
    push pin
    paperclip
    swear words (many)
    sweat
    blood that i sacrificed to the pc gods.
    headlamp

but its running.

but may want to add another 120mm fan (added)

lol - gotta love (working on) computers

Elitesse

My computer is 13-14 years old and never had a problem until he didn't start up anymore. I have opened it, trying to understand the problem, and in the meanwhile I removed every component from it, cleaned the computer (lots of dust inside it) and put the components back. The computer didn't start, and I left it in my garage! After a few weeks, just for curiosity before buying a new computer, I turned it on, and it started, everything worked correctly! I don't know what happened!

Rand

I think it probably got overloaded with Valve Ids.....   :P

Saleen219

Im honestly surprised i didnt fry the cpu with the way i was handling it.

But ya. Prbly too many valvies

SpamDaddy!

Just throwin' this out there....you could just cut 2 holes in the side of your case and add 2 fans for air flow...

Saleen219

Well, the hole was for a 120mm fan that i had to attach the radiator for the water block to.

The computer case wasnt really designed with water cooling in mind so had to add it to the side panel. Of course the panel wasnt set up for a fan already, and since i didnt have a jigsaw or a 5 inch hole bit, or a spare fan grill - i drilled a bunch of a holes to make my own fan grill.

p0izon

Only thing missing was a heat gun. lol.

Saleen219

Didnt have one :/

Considering the abuse that the cpu went thru, im really surprised it didnt get fried. BUT thats AMD for ya, a shitty intel would have fried for sure. Nver have killed an AMD cpu yet.

Yet.

SpamDaddy!

:::knocking on wood for you::: I murdered a 2.4 ghz core 2 duo several years back...but then I killed a brand new Pentium 333mhz back in 98 trying to overclock it  >:(