Please do not feed the trolls.

Main Menu

Who has 10,000 hours on TFC?

Started by Iggy, October 27, 2016, 10:11:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Iggy

This fuckin' guy!

:yay!:  :yes:  :laugh:

Thought I'd go ahead and sign up, get a little interactive, rather than just occasionally scrolling through and saying nothing. So... I'll see you guys on here, AND on the servers.  ;)
Writer, arcade game collector, husband, vintage gamer, cripple, creator of memes, and retro-technologist. Born in the 60s, came of age in the 80s, and what a ride it has been.

Gimpy

Dude.

That is literally a year and almost two months of game time.

Holy fucking shit.

Iggy

Yeah, there's a bit of a story as to why I've played so much. Aside from just loving the game.

Back in 2003, my then girlfriend(who would become my first wife) was diagnosed with ovarian cancer. She went through surgery, chemo and all that, and it went into remission. TFC was my "escape from reality". I would play on average, maybe 2-3 hours per night, if we weren't working 14+ hour days. I say we, because we both worked for the same company. In 2006, the cancer came back.... on her liver this time. More chemo, and all the charms that come with it, didn't help. They tested several new treatments on her, and nothing worked. Early June, as she went in for some more tests, they dropped the bomb on us: "There's nothing more we can do."

She was put on Home Hospice, and given just a few months to live. I had to move mountains to make her dying wish come true, to marry me. On Aug 12, 2006, we were married. Aug 23, 2006, she took her last breath at 10:56 am.

Even though I knew it was coming, and had watched her deteriorate.... it hit me like a ton of bricks. I gave myself 5 days(her memorial was the Sunday after she'd passed) to lose control, then I would stop, and go back to work.

Setting that defined time was the best thing I could do... I honestly don't remember those 5 days. I was fucked in the head, and did as much drugs and alcohol as my system could handle. Monday morning, I was back at work... just like I'd planned.

After work, I'd come home, eat, and load up TFC.... and play until I couldn't stay awake any longer. I'd go to sleep, wake up, go to work... rinse and repeat.

My world had taken such a hit, that the only thing aside from music that was keeping me sane, was Team Fortress Classic. On weekends I didn't have to work, I'd be on a server. Any server that had people playing.

I would literally marathon for 14-17 hours at a time.

I've also been playing since it came out, although Steam doesn't track your WON hours. But if you calculate 10,000 hours over the course of 12-13 years... The average drops to just a few hours per day. It just all adds up.

The longest "marathon" I did, was last year(2015), when Drippy- ran his "Easter Egg Hunt". I literally played for about 40 hours straight. I may have taken a short 1 hour nap in there, but Monster(tm) energy drinks and beer kept me going. =D

I love this game. It helped save my life, because after Rose(my first wife) died, I lost all will to live. I wasn't suicidal... I just didn't care anymore. Three years and change later, I re-met an old friend from Jr. High and High school........ She became my second wife, and my life had meaning again.
Writer, arcade game collector, husband, vintage gamer, cripple, creator of memes, and retro-technologist. Born in the 60s, came of age in the 80s, and what a ride it has been.

xheon

Well that was a helluva story, got damn ninjas cutting onions...

Props.

SyKosis

Gimpy

And only 24 hours of it on our servers......

Iggy

Quote from: Gimpy on October 28, 2016, 07:14:38 PM
And only 24 hours of it on our servers......

How far back do those records go?

Gimpy

Unsure... but a few years!

Edit - at least 2012

Iggy

No doubt, I do need to play here more. I need to get a new DVD drive in my computer, and restore all of my old images. I've literally got tens of thousands of "end of match" screenshots. A stack of DVDs longer than my arm is sitting in a corner of the room, with all kinds of stuff on them.