News:

Please donate to help keep the servers running!

Main Menu

but IS it 'camping respawn' ??

Started by Saleen219, March 30, 2015, 08:45:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Saleen219

Ok, the shout box has a topic going that I think we can post here to discuss (or move to another forum, if someone wants to).

On 2fort - waiting at the cap point on enemy battlements. IS it 'camping respawn' or not

I tend to disagree personally and I dont do anything against a player who IS waiting there. Yes I think its bullshit that for example a medic sits in waiting for a enemy to walk by him to get infected. BUT: is that 'spawn camping'?

The only time I personally will do something about it is when someone sitting at the cap point is tossing nades/pills/etc at my respawn door. I also dont like it when a (team mate) soldier sits there waiting for an enemy to exit so he can come around the battlement and fire some rockets at the enemy (as an example). If i see a particular player constantly doing this I will say something yes.

Yes I know i contradict myself there.

Yes, ive done this too as a sniper and a soldier as I dont see it as 'camping respawn'. But i also dont make this a habit either.

Annnnd discuss:

crosby

Gimpy

I only say something if it's continuous. Sure, go on up, get a couple kills, and then leave or get killed... but again, only if it's a habit that the plate just sits up there.

If you are sitting there waiting to kill anyone, why not wait at the from entrance? Do your infect and run there? People wont do that, because it isn't close enough to the spawn...

Saleen219

well they cant stand BY the doors, as that is 100% spawn camping.

i agree gimpster - yeah go to the cap point, get a kill or two - then move on. Even if its my team player doing this, i will say something eventually. and of course some a-hole has to argue with me that this isnt spawn camping - never mind an admin is telling you to not do this. and they wonder why we have bad attitudes.

but stand at the cap point and toss nades/pills/etc? no. aint happening. I can agree its ok to toss a nade if the player is outside before you tossed it, sure why not. fair game.

ironmanjc3

I do this as medic and here is why. The game has evolved to be long range friendly. As a medic I view it as a support class to which the med pack is its most important tool (that and concing of course). Its iconic to the class! A lot of people get upset when the are infected. They will kill themselves or run into heavy fire. As a medic with the "infect play-style" it can be frustrating.

With the development of BHOP, quick scoping, and scripts to release nades etc. surprise attacks are almost mandatory if you wish to infect and cause wide spread chaos.  With that being said I usually wait in the flag cap zone, bottom of battlement or ill run out of that area  in front of the re-spawn room where you drop down to main entrance when I see people run by or hear a door. At no point do I  sit within automatic infect range (e.g. Right in front of the door or off to the side of re-spawn exit). The med pack is a short-short-short range weapon. It is ludicrous to say that its spawn camping  when you have to take 2-6 seconds to run up to an unsuspecting victim before you can even attack.

Someone made the argument you might as well let demos nade spam the entrance but that doesn't relate at all to the medic situation because the nades are physically next to the entrance where as the dude with a med pack is several feet away.  I understand being infected is possibly the most annoying thing ever, but that's the point.. its a  SUPPORT CLASS.  Just because its annoying doesn't mean you can rage quit, commit suicide, or start to throw admin kicks and warnings around like candy.  In conclusion its just not spawn camping if you have to travel considerable distance before you get to an enemy to kill. Its a covert tactic a la spy technique.

p.s. to juliet who calls this play style chicken shit...Have you ever played a true rpg or class based game as its suppose to be played? Each class has a true designed purpose. It is not the medics job to go toe-to-toe with a fricken hw or solly Just as much as its not the HWs job to run flag caps or a sniper to go rambo. Obviously amazing skill can compensate for the in-game mechanics. But the premise still stands. If you want to play a game thats strictly smash-mouth in your face, 18th century British warfare of trading bullets to the dick go play unreal tournament or halo.

:::end rant::: lol_face

SpamDaddy!

As it relates to 2fort specifically...

We'd have to ban Juliet and Dragonite, the snipe from center of the deck and if you exit and they catche you yer dead. But you have a small window between exiting and when they will see and pop you. You can nade them and they will clear out. So not camping. They aren't trying to kill you as the door opens. They aren't watching JUST one side. They snipe all directions from that vantage point.

Medic hiding in the flag cap point area or by the door to me is something else entirely. he is there for one reason only and they ALL infect and run. No other class can leave you dieing where you cannot heal back up after an attack. I realize that is part of the medics MO BUT, it is unfair for them to bottleneck you in the only place they KNOW you can exit and infect you so you are almost guaranteed to infect others.

Besides those two examples I think spamming the respawn from the ground or from the deck is also unfair. Anything that prevents a player from leaving his spawn to enter the field of play. That's why there are no emps allowed to be thrown at respawn. No chance to fight the aggressor.

Just my thoughts.

p0izon

If you're standing at the cap point infecting, no it's not respawn camping. But if you're "Popping out as soon as you hear someone exit the respawn" as stated in the shoutbox, then yes I would definitely consider that respawn camping. Because you're not just hitting passing players, you're specifically targeting players that are coming from the respawn.

ironmanjc3

then would you prefer a medic announce when they are near or coming after someone? When I pop out of hiding, again, I dont do it right by the door im a considerable distance away essentially when wielding a hand to hand weapon.  There is no conceivable way players cant see a medic coming out from middle of flag cap from either side or coming across the wide open room. The main people qq'ing from these tactics in game that ive seen have been snipers (as they for the most part immediately zoom in and charge their riffle.) To which I say thats a fair trade-off for being able to one shot someone instantly.

Saleen219

Ok first off you are not a "considerable distance away" lol.

Seems to be a real fine knifes edge here.

Way I see po's post is that you are standing on the cap point (in that box), and someone comes to YOU and you infect, allowed. If you hear someone exit the respawn (door opening) and you pop out and go for him - spawn camping.

SpamDaddy!

"Considerable distance" is silly. As you approach the exit door to leave it automatically opens and makes a loud audible "GET READY" sound as it does then you pass thru. In that couple of moments a medic or spy will be on top of exiting players especially good spies or medics that can bhop really fast.

Swede

Quote from: p0izon on March 30, 2015, 10:48:01 AM
If you're standing at the cap point infecting, no it's not respawn camping. But if you're "Popping out as soon as you hear someone exit the respawn" as stated in the shoutbox, then yes I would definitely consider that respawn camping. Because you're not just hitting passing players, you're specifically targeting players that are coming from the respawn.

Im behind this.

Saleen219

reading your post here just now juliet: I have to agree this was in fact spawn camping, and I too stand behind your decision.

Po said in his post, that what this particular player was doing (what you just said juliet) WAS camping respawn.

If he stayed at the cap point and waited for the enemy to run past him/into him - fair game.

ironmanjc3

evidence for you claims???

you seem rather upset juliet for being infected. Its apart of the class its a tactic. It is what the class was intended to be used for defense heals/offensive infects. Its a support/healing hybrid class. I never claimed it at the top of the skill charts just how the mechanics the developers INTENDED it to be played as. Yes players with high skill can overcome the mechanics and exploit all the tools at their disposal i.e. concs bhop etc.  But the casual player doesnt go that route.

But I will be sure to spectate and screen capture when you are a running around as spy by our doors mmmkay?

Saleen219

iron: although you are more than welcome to discuss this issue - but please keep the personal attacks out of it.

As it stands, waiting at the cap point for the respawn doors to open then going to attack the exiting enemy has been deemed camping respawn - continue with this tactic and you - and any other players that practice this tactic - will be removed from the server.

lets keep the childish comments and personal attacks out of it. the thread will be locked - offending comment(s) removed if it continues.

StarBurns

The red bags in the respawn should cure infections!!!