News:

Please donate to help keep the servers running!

Main Menu

ex_interp settings

Started by Nuggs, July 29, 2019, 09:50:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nuggs

Was having a discussion with Bishop in the server yesterday regarding sniper shots where blood comes out but the shots don't register and it was suggested my ex_interp setting was off. I checked and was using the default setting of .1 paired with cmd_updaterate of 90. It was suggested I turn updaterate to 100 as that's max BZ allows

So I did some further research and came across this post from 2013:  https://github.com/ValveSoftware/halflife/issues/395 which gave a formula for setting the correct interp as 2/cmdrate, which if correct means I should be using .02 instead of .1

It's an older post so I don't know if the info is still current, so if someone who has a better grasp on this could post up that would be appreciated

Gimpy

In all my years of sniping, I've never encountered this issue...

I also play with all vanilla settings, except fps of 135.

pizzahut

There are a couple of lag prediction cvars, one of them has to do with blood. Try changing it to 0 or 1 and see if it makes a difference.

AFAIR it was like this, but not sure though:

cl_lb 0.0 // blood prediction client/server side (default: 0.0 (server side))
cl_lc 1 // lag compensation on/off (default: 1 (on))
cl_lw 1 // own weapon fire prediction client/server side (def: 1 (client side))

Although it's odd the default value for cl_lb is a floating point number. Maybe it's more like ex_interp, and should have a similar value?

Bishop

Setting ex_interp to 0.02 with cl_updaterate at 100 will cause prediction problems. Any packet loss or when the server fails to send packets as requested will prevent your client from interpolating between updates and it will have to extrapolate (guess). You don't want to your client to have to guess at player positions. I'd recommend setting your ex_interp to 0.04 or 0.06 but the default of 0.1 should be fine too.

Also as Pizzahut mentioned, make sure cl_lb  is set to 0 to disable client-side blood splat prediction.  Client side prediction will sometimes fail due to small errors introduced the timing precision of lag compensation...so this should be disabled.

Nuggs

Quote from: Bishop on July 30, 2019, 01:44:08 AM
Setting ex_interp to 0.02 with cl_updaterate at 100 will cause prediction problems. Any packet loss or when the server fails to send packets as requested will prevent your client from interpolating between updates and it will have to extrapolate (guess). You don't want to your client to have to guess at player positions. I'd recommend setting your ex_interp to 0.04 or 0.06 but the default of 0.1 should be fine too.

Also as Pizzahut mentioned, make sure cl_lb  is set to 0 to disable client-side blood splat prediction.  Client side prediction will sometimes fail due to small errors introduced the timing precision of lag compensation...so this should be disabled.

Thanks for the info Bishop. I tried a few settings besides .1 and they seemed to make TFC choppy. Fixing cl_lb make the blood issue go away so I think I'll leave it as is.

Quote from: pizzahut on July 29, 2019, 08:36:33 PM
There are a couple of lag prediction cvars, one of them has to do with blood. Try changing it to 0 or 1 and see if it makes a difference.

AFAIR it was like this, but not sure though:

cl_lb 0.0 // blood prediction client/server side (default: 0.0 (server side))
cl_lc 1 // lag compensation on/off (default: 1 (on))
cl_lw 1 // own weapon fire prediction client/server side (def: 1 (client side))

Although it's odd the default value for cl_lb is a floating point number. Maybe it's more like ex_interp, and should have a similar value?

Pizzahut you were correct, my cl_lb was set to 1. Changing it to 0 fixed the blood coming out but no shot registered issue. Thanks for the tip