How would you adjust your rate, cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate for less lag?

Started by youwasattheclub, March 21, 2019, 12:34:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

youwasattheclub

Although having a lower ping and all would play the biggest role, I noticed significant changes when I tried to meddle with my rate, cl_updaterate and cl_cmdrate.

I have roughly 220ms and capped my fps at 250. Why? Because for some reason, any higher would make me have visual lag where I would teleport to places that I walk to. Any higher and I can't move. Weird thing is that when OTHER people look at me, they don't see me lagging when I move or anything.

When I tried adjusting my rate and cl_cmdrate to extremes like setting rate "100" I would not even be able to move in my usual 250fps cap. Same goes for cl_cmdrate, setting it to an extreme low value like "10" makes me have that visual lag. I think cl_updaterate is adjusted by the server so it probably wouldn't matter.

I was thinking that adjusting these two could maybe help with issues like:
-Rocket projectile lag. When you fire your rocket with high ping, you could feel the delay before it comes out.
-Grenade throwing lag
-HH conc timing lag
-Sometimes it might not appear on my screen that I'm walking into someone, but if the server says so, I would teleport like crazy around them because the info I recieve is laggier.
-Actual backstabs don't register. Though this might be an actual bug even at low pings. I don't know...
-Another example would be when I'm playing on Fun/Adventure server, and if the map has moving platforms, I have to anticipate my lag and jump infront of the platform, almost as if I'm extremely early with the timing of the jump but it would register as me landing the platform perfectly because of my lag.
-etc.

So TL;DR: Max fps at 250fps. Any higher would lag due to my ping.
                 How should I set my rate and cl_cmdrate values make my gameplay               
                 better?