News:

New Admins: Be sure to read through the Clan Resources forum for admin tips.

Main Menu

Mass Timeouts

Started by Master, November 28, 2016, 11:48:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Master

Hello everyone, I am aware of the issue of 90% of the server receiving a 'timed out' error and being disconnected from the server. Unfortunately this new problem occurred 'randomly' with no new changes to either our hardware, software, or other systems, which means we have little to no information as to why this is happening, which makes troubleshooting this rare event even more difficult.

I am sorry if you've been hit by this, I have even had to deal with it once.. it's not fun, especially since it can completely kill a close game :( I am doing everything I can think of to fix this problem and hope its a speedy fix.

Nuggs

I have cl_timeout is set to "35" and while I will lag out for a good 30 seconds when this happens I never drop.

I don't know if that information is helpful in any way.

Bishop

There are cases where the game freezes for long periods and those are usually recoverable (my cl_timeout is set to 60).   The mass timeouts appear to be something different; when this happens I am dropped immediately and with no warning.

Master

Quote from: Nuggs on November 28, 2016, 04:54:18 PM
I have cl_timeout is set to "35" and while I will lag out for a good 30 seconds when this happens I never drop.

I don't know if that information is helpful in any way.
I honestly didn't even remember that cvar until you mentioned it, I would reccomend keeping it at 60 (same as server has) so that you don't get disconnected when the server gets ddosed or freezes up because someone pushed the button, however this isn't useful because the timeouts occur in the middle of active gameplay.

cl_timeout is the variable that controls how long your client will wait to receive more packets about whats going on around you. If no packets are recieved in X amount of seconds, all entities will despawn and the client notifies you that the server is unreachable (cant remember what the msg label is in the top right, havent seen it since I found my console key ;))

and thus concludes a brief lesson on how the game engine works. :^)